Safeguarding our Students
Consett Academy recognises its responsibilities for Safeguarding and ensuring that our students are kept safe from harm. Our safeguarding statement outlines the school’s position and should be read in conjunction with the school’s Child Protection Policy. Our policy applies to all staff, governors and volunteers working in the school. There are five main elements:
- Ensuring we practice safe recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children;
- Raising awareness of child protection issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe;
- Ensuring that staff are aware of the procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse. These procedures are contained in Essential Guidance for all staff working within the Local Education Authority; including Keeping Children Safe in Education 2020;
- Supporting students who have been abused in accordance with his/her agreed child protection plan; and
- Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop.
Our staff are regularly trained, vigilant for signs of harm, and are confident about applying our policies to any potential safeguarding issues.
Our safeguarding and child protection work is led by our Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL), Mr I Middleton.
Cause for Concern
Our first priority is of course your child’s welfare and school is required to take any reasonable action to ensure the safety of its students. However there may be occasions when we have reason to be concerned that a child may be subject to ill-treatment, neglect or other forms of abuse. We will ensure that our concerns about a child are discussed with his/her parents/carers first, unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child’s welfare. In this case school is obliged to follow the Child Protection procedures and inform the Social Services of the concern.
Safeguarding children and young people is everyone’s responsibility
If you have a concern about a child or young person who lives in County Durham, First Contact is the service to call: 03000 267 979
Our Safeguarding Policy is available here.
|Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead/Deputy Principal||Mr I Middleton||t: 01207 507001|