As an Academy our key priority is to drive up standards and transform the lives and aspirations of our students. We aim to be the first choice place of learning for students of all abilities living in Consett and the surrounding area. We are a self – evaluating Academy focused on continuous improvement in all areas. We put our ‘Students First’ in all that we do.
Our three core principles are: Inclusion, Progression and Excellence.The principle of Inclusion will provide for all students of all abilities, aspirations and backgrounds and involving staff, governors, students and the wider community in determining the future of our Academy. Our curriculum is broad and challenging, with academic success of students at the heart of what we do.
To encourage Progression, the Academy provides effective advice and guidance. This enables learners to make informed and appropriate decisions for future study and employment, encouraging them to take on new challenges and reach higher levels of achievement.
The focus on Excellence underpins all that we do whether in learning areas, working in the community or governing and leading the Academy.
Our Vision is to be:
‘An inspirational learning hub that allows all students and colleagues to achieve all that they can; has an ethos that ignites a passion for learning, discovery and creativity and nurtures a moral code and self worth that stays with our young people all their lives’
The Values we all share are: if we live by our values, we will be exceptional!
- When you come across an obstacle, you keep going
- Never give up, follow your dreams and don’t stop trying
- Accepting challenges and working to overcome them
- Be inspired – set goals and targets – ‘Think BIG!’
- Aiming to be the best you can be, aspiring to be the best
- Having a dream, following it and never giving up
- Treat others as you would want to be treated. Listen and respect others’ views
- To appreciate other people’s beliefs and opinions
- Manners cost nothing, treat others as you would like to be treated
- Honesty is the best policy – be true to yourself
- Own up to things you have done, you have done them for a reason
- Tell the truth no matter the consequence
- Be patient and show respect
- No violence, listen to what other people have to say
- Don’t judge people because they are different, accept other people’s differences
Piece of Mind – Peer Mentors in School
At Consett Academy we are lucky enough to have a Sixth Form Centre where some of our students have signed up to be Peer Mentors, to be there for younger students. The main goal of this is so younger students can talk to their peers, if they want to, about anything. This goes along way to help younger students in our school especially when talking to those Sixth Form students that have been in their position at the same school. Find out more in this video –